This recipe is the quintessence of French family cuisine and the most celebrated dish in France.
Porties 4 persons, Voorbereidingstijd 10 minutes, Bereidingstijd: 90 minutes
- 500 grams of lean beef, bottom round or rump
- 250 grams of short ribs of beef
- 450 grams of shin bone or other soup bones
- 1 peeled onion
- 1 clove garlic
- 6 whole peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 6 sprigs fresh parsley
- 1 bunch celery, sliced into 2-inch lengths with leaves reserved (about 2 cups)
- 1 bay leaves
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 carrots, peeled and sliced into 2-inch lengths
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and quartered
- 1 small turnip, peeled and quartered
- 1 cup fresh peas or one package frozen
- 1 leek, washed and cut into 2-inch lengths (optional)
- Remove the stirrer and place the meat and soup bones in the HomeCooker and cover with cold water. Add the onion, garlic, peppercorns, salt, parsley, celery leaves, bay leaves, and thyme. Set the temperature at 250°C for 16 minutes. Skim off any foam that rises to the surface.
- Cover the pan with the lid and set the timer to 90 minutes at 110°C to simmer. Skim off the foam that has formed on the surface and add all of the remaining vegetables, except the peas, and cook for 30 minutes at 110°C or until just tender.
- Add the peas set the temperature at 110°C for 10 minutes.
- Tip van de Chef: Pot-au-feu is another dish that grows in flavour as it ages. It can be stored in the refrigerator for up to two days.